Mattias Ekström is a Swedish racing driver and although most of his career he has spent in circuit racing, he is often regarded as one of the most versatile drivers in the world. He has proven that by claiming two DTM titles, FIA World RX title and shown good speed in rally, rally-raid and other racing categories.
Beginning with the most recent:
- He started the year with another Dakar Rally outing with Audi in which he managed several Top 3 stage finishes and a win on the Prologue stage. Mattias made another impressive Race Of Champions win by beating Mick Schumacher in the final. In order to improve his driving skills in desert dunes Mattias entered Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge with a Can-Am side-by-side car.
- Mattias Ekström joined the Team Audi Sport for Dakar Rally with Audi RS Q e-tron race car that is equipped with innovative drivetrain. Ekström took one stage win in the rally and was the highest finishing Audi. He also participated at FIA ETCR with Cupra, where he finished as runner-up to his teammate Adrien Tambay.
- Ekström continued his mission of learning the rally-raid discipline with his first Dakar Rally in side-by-side vehicle and several Baja events with Mini 4x4 and buggy. He also joined Cupra for all-electric championships of Extreme E and Pure ETCR, the latter of which he won. Mattias also made a return to WRC at Arctic Rally Finland with a Škoda Fabia Rally2 car where he finished 5th in his category.
- Mattias made a surprise return to World RX by teaming up with multiple time champion Johan Kristofferson. Mattias finished second as Kristofferson took the title. At the end of the year Ekstrom also got his first tase of rally-raid competitions as he entered Hail rally with Yamaha side-by-side.
- Ekström entered Rally Legend with his Audi S1 EKS RX quattro rallycross car which was shared between him and a Moto GP legend Andrea Dovizioso.
- In 2018 Ekström’s rallycross team received full Audi factory support. Mattias took four podium finishes and completed the rallycross season in second position. Ekström also made an appearance at DTM for a season opener as his farewell race.
- Mattias competed in World RX and DTM championships and in both he finished in runner-up position. This was the last full season of DTM for Mattias.
- Ekström took four World RX victories and another two podium finishes and finished the season as a World Champion. Together with his teammate Toomas Heikkinen they also secured a Teams’ title for EKS team. In DTM Mattias finished 7th overall.
- Ekström was again a fierce competitor in DTM and finished the season in third position overall. He also did most of the World RX season and took one victory and one 2nd place finishing the season on equal points in shared 5th place.
- Mattias raced to a runner-up position in DTM season while at the same time he launched his own EKS rallycross team to compete in World RX with Audi S1 EKS RX quattro machines. In his home event in Sweden Mattias clinched his first World RX victory.
- This year Ekström took his Audi to 7th place in DTM season and also ignited the passion for rallycross as Mattias finished in P2 at Euro RX race in Sweden.
- During the DTM season Ekström managed three Top 3 finishes and finished the year in 6th overall.
- Another runner-up season at DTM.
- With one win, two podium finishes and three retirements Ekström finished the 2010 DTM season in 4th place.
- Finished 5th in DTM season on equal points with 4th place finisher Bruno Spengler. Highlight of the year though was an impressive win against Michael Schumacher in Race Of Champions final.
- Mattias again claimed three wins in the DTM season and finished the year in third overall.
- Ekström took his Audi A4 DTM car to 7 podiums during the season and won his second DTM title. This year also marked his second Race Of Champions win.
- Difficult DTM season with only one race win put Ekström in P8 at the end of the season. He bounced back with a win at Race Of Champions. Ekström also finished P11 in WRC of Germany.
- During the DTM season Ekström took three wins and finished the year in runner-up position. Mattias Ekström together with LeMans legend Tom Kristensen claimed Nations Cup win at the annual Race Of Champions. He also made a Top 10 finish in WRC of Sweden with a Škoda Fabia WRC car.
- Four wins and seven podium finishes in total guaranteed the Swede his first DTM champion’s title. Ekström also won the Group N category in WRC events of Spain and Sweden.
- With five podium finishes Ekström finished the DTM season in 4th position overall.
- Claimed three wins and finished his DTM season in third with ABT Sportsline team’s Audi TT-R.
- Joined the DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) with Audi TT-R from Team ABT Sportsline Junior. Finished his debut season in 8th position. For all of his DTM career Ekström drove Audi for ABT team.
- Switched to factory run Volvo S40 and finished the STCC season in third. He also did a couple of rally events with highlight Top 5 in Group N category at WRC Sweden.
- Won the STCC title with Audi A4 quattro. Ekström also tried his hand into rallying.
- Changed to Ford Mondeo and claimed four podiums during the STCC season.
- Made a leap up to STCC (Scandinavian Touring Car Championship) and finished runner-up in his Volvo 850.
- Ekström claims the Swedish Renault 5 Turbo Cup champions’ title.
- Runner-up in Swedish Renault 5 Turbo Cup.
- At the age of 15 Ekström moved up to circuit racing in Swedish Renault 5 Turbo Cup, where he raced for three years.
- Ekström debuted in karting in local races around Sweden.